I like Ted's article. A lot. To add another scenario: a yellow-crowned
night heron, an unusual bird for Boulder County but not for the nation, was
taking a frustrating first migration break along the shore of a pond in a
park in Hygiene. Lots of Colorado birders came to see it. A lifer for a few
of them (me.). The bird was lost, taking a few recovery during its first
migration. The spot along the shore was quiet, mostly protected, and there
was food in the water to eat. A person fishing in a boat near the shore
unknowingly approached the bird.  The bird retreated deeply into the weeds,
disappointing its many "paparazzi".

For all the care that I feel for this "rare" bird, I  I must inadvertently
flush 1000 red-winged blackbirds, and 2000 starlings, each one a unique
creature with sensitivities similar to the precious rare one.  I suspect ,
rare or not, most birds defensively retreat toward a safe place many times
a day because an unexpected movement in the bush might be a coyote, a hawk,
an owl, a cat, or a rabid bird-eating human. It is not a perfect survival
strategy but it is a helpful one. There is reason not to intentionally
flush any  bird, because we just honestly don't know whether it might cause
harm. Nevertheless, it happens a lot. We can never be a bird and know the
cost of a flush. It might  be  best to never look at a bird when we see
one, but to keep moving on. No harm, no fowl. Leave only footprints. And,
try to avoid leaving footprints. We just don't really know for sure, do we?
But, observation tells us that many kinds of birds, when we approach
quietly and slowly,  just go on with their lives. And, it would seem that
the common birds, having been flushed, still hang around by the millions.

There are some threatened species that we need to leave alone so that they
can better establish themselves into an area, raise their families, return
next Spring. I think the park rangers know more about them than most of us
because they aren't talking about them. There are the others, the unusual
migrants, the ones that we feel good to find, the ones that by chance chose
a more pubic place to take respite. Like young yellow-headed night herons.
Unfortunate birds, possibly strayed away from the usual migration path,
maybe ending up in a desirable wintering ground and maybe not.

This heron in particular should not be carelessly flushed for at least one
additional good reason: because we respect other birders, their children
and friends. The stories they might tell. Some of them have travelled hours
for a chance to view it. The bird has wings. It will fly away soon. Good to
enjoy it as long as we can.

David