From: cobirds@googlegroups.com <cobirds@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of Beth
Partin
Sent: Sunday, December 4, 2022 4:47 PM
To: Colorado Birds <cobirds@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [cobirds] Pale kestrel? Or merlin?

I was in Washington Park early Sunday afternoon and spotted a small falcon that
looked too pale to be a kestrel. It had the facial markings of a kestrel and a
pale rufous wash on its tail in some lighting, but its back was mostly brown
and its breast and belly pale and only lightly streaked on the sides. It
occasionally spread its tail but didn't bob it.

Two other birders saw a pale line over the bird's eye, which in addition to
other markings led them to identify it as a Prairie Merlin, but I never did see
the line through my old binos.

The bird was in trees on the west side of Washington Park, near the garden that
is west of the ditch.

I marked it as a merlin on my ebird list, but I'm still not sure of that ID and
would love to hear from other birders. According to Sibley, the juveniles look
like adults. Maybe it's a late bloomer?

Beth

Denver, Colorado

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird
species and location in the subject line when appropriate
---
to cobirds+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
<mailto:cobirds+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com> .
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/CADMvWSYe_C6vQY8eyeJFnrL4C8H2SOdvDbogYG0X5r6hWB4idg%40mail.gmail.com