>> Can it become safer and more convenient to handle assignments here?
>
> I have no idea what you are asking for.

I wonder about such a kind of feedback.

> In any case, an expression metavariable already matches a variable.

This information can be appropriate in some source code situations.

Do you care for any more “special use cases”?

> I don't know what a designated initializer is.

I find this aspect strange when it was already discussed several times.
http://en.cppreference.com/w/c/language/struct_initialization

How would you prefer to handle various software development challenges around
specifications for variable definitions?

Regards,
Markus