Hello,

I have constructed the following small script for another application of the
semantic patch language.

@replacement@
identifier action, var, work;
type T, X;
@@
 T work(...)
 {
 ... when any
 X* var;
 ... when any
 var = action(...,
              sizeof(
-                    X
+                    *var
                    ),
             )
 ... when any
 }

I know that this transformation approach is working to some degree.
I came along another source file where I do not get the desired code adjustment
with the software version “1.0.6-00186-g0acd38ee” automatically.

elfring@Sonne:~/Projekte/Linux/next-patched> git checkout next-20170803 &&
spatch.opt ~/Projekte/Coccinelle/janitor/safer_size_determination1.cocci
fs/pstore/ram.c

How should the software situation be changed further so that the function
“ramoops_pstore_read” will be also handled in the way like I published it in
the update suggestion “pstore: Improve a size determination in three functions”?
http://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.12.8/source/fs/pstore/ram.c#L291
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9904523/
https://lkml.kernel.org/r/<23798ef4-5559-3454-ecf4-e6844b644...@users.sourceforge.net>

Regards,