On 23.03.2016 12:00, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 03/23/2016 05:06 AM, Marek Libra wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to hear your opinion on adding Virtual Machine status and
>> management capability to the Cockpit.
>>

> I've been pitching this for about a year now:
> https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/issues/2099

Yup, it's on the ideas page:
https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/wiki/Ideas

>> I've already played with this idea for some time. It lead me to a plugin
>> providing such a functionality, but with dependency on the oVirt (VDSM). The
>> plugin - lists all VMs running on the host, - displays some charts,
>> statistics and other VM details - plus allows set of actions on them (so far
>> basic - shutdown, restart, console, but can grow).

Sounds like a good idea. I would suggest starting simple, and listing
the running machines, providing a shell and browser link to access those
machines (if we know of an address).

And then building it out further into being able to stop, start machines.

But in general this is a nice project, and makes sense for inclusion
into Cockpit.

>> With optional access to oVirt's engine, additional cluster-related
>> functionality is made accessible: - list of VMs in a cluster, - VM run, -
>> click-through to other cockpit running particular VM - ...
>>
>> In hindsight, there might be a better approach in contributing VM
>> status&management to the Cockpit upstream, alongside with recent Docker or
>> Kubernetes.

Yup. I would suggest integrating with local VM access, until and if
there's a common standard system API that provides more clustering info.
Perhaps proving a clickable link in the browser that takes the user to
an oVirt or RHEV-M web interface would be more appropriate here?

>> As a starting point, a list of running VMs will be displayed and basic set of
>> actions provided. Vision: implement in the Cockpit - similar functionality as
>> is recently done for the desktop's virt-manager but with the benefit of
>> revising the User Experience - allow monitoring&management of cluster VMs, if
>> the host is part of any
>>
>> This feature would be libvirt-based, not VDSM - so no additional dependencies
>> for Cockpit. The VDSM would be preferred service provider, if *optionally*
>> installed on the host. Similar for oVirt's engine - if accessible then
>> cluster-related functionality is provided (i.e. cluster VMs list, managed VM
>> migration, run a VM "in a cluster", cockpit's VM detail click-through,
>> etc.).
>>
>> Benefit for users: support for VM management out of the box with layered
>> access to functionality as more advanced VM management tools are installed on
>> a host

You said you played with this already? Do you have a link for us to try
out? Or are you planning on openning an initial pull request in the
cockpit repo?

By the way, I think an idea was floating around about standardizing the
playground and examples directory into something that's installable and
it would contain work in progress, or unfinished modules ... to make it
easier to collaborate, try them out or contribute to them.

Cheers,

Stef