Hi,

here are some brainstorming notes about what might come next regarding
Cockpit apps.  Any feedback highly appreciated!

Cockpit can discover and install add-ons that come as RPMs or DEBs.
Cockpit uses the regular AppStream mechanism for this that is also
used by GNOME Software to discover and install Desktop "add-ons".

Cockpit reads the "AppStream collection metadata" to discover
available add-ons, and the RPMs and DEBs install small "AppStream
upstream metadata" files into /usr/share that Cockpit reads to figure
out what is installed.

We also want to discover and install Cockpit add-ons that are in
container images.  The Desktop world has Flatpaks for this, and they
are working on shipping Flatpaks as standard OCI container images.
Flatpak also uses AppStream to describe individual images.  Owen is
working on "metastore", which should give us the equivalent of the
"AppStream collection metadata" for container image registries.  Once
pulled, we can look at the labels and annotations of the
images/containers to find the "AppStream upstream metadata".

But how does a add-on in a container work?

I would try this:

 - A container needs to be running before Cockpit takes note of it.
   Having just the image pulled to local storage means nothing.

 - When starting a session, the shell will find all running containers
   with a special label and "exec" a bridge in them (if the logged in
   user has enough permissions).

 - Implementation-wise, such a container is like a remote machine.
   URLs refer to it explicitly.  Its packages don't need to be
   distinct from those of other containers.

 - UI-wise, their manifests and iframes are merged with those from the
   bridge that runs outside of any container.  We could start by only
   allowing "dashboard"s in containers, that ought o be quite simple.

 - We can even extend this merging to real remote machines so that you
   get all dashboards from all your machines merged in your browser
   window.

 - In the "Applications" tool, we don't talk about "installing"
   applications that are in containers, but about "enabling" them.
   Enabling such a container means running it in its default way, and
   making sure it gets started on every boot.  Somehow.

 - We could extend this terminology to RPM/DEB apps as well.
   "Enabling" an app makes its entry appear in Cockpit, "disabling"
   makes it go away.  If that needs some more rpms or images or
   something else, that's an implementation detail.

 - The process of enabling something could talk more clearly about
   what will happen and let the user confirm this.

Does this make sense?