Hi Nate,

Glad it works!

You are correct that when you want to set up you own layer hierarchy its best to leave that for awakeFromNib instead of setting the check box. When you check that a view wants a layer in IB and then replace it its just wasting creating that layer and such. Also I have occasionally seen some strange behavior from views that had that checkbox turned on in IB after I replace it's layer. I think that when a view comes out of a nib thinking that its layer backed (instead of layer hosting) it makes some assumptions about what it can do with/to the layer that are not valid once you replace the layer.

So I have had better luck just leaving that checkbox unchecked in IB.

anyway sorry to ramble, good luck!

-bd-
http://bill.dudney.net/roller/objc