I don't have specific knowledge but, yes, I would expect that the dictionary support is a trusted part of the OS, thus can be hooked into every application.

As far as I know, if you want to touch another application's UI, you have to go through accessibility. From the OS's point of view yours is just another application, so it seems reasonable that the user should decide whether or not to allow your application to see what's going on in another.

steve