All,

I'm new to Cocoa (surprise) and I'm now working on a little app, and I've come up with a solution to an issue and I'd like some feedback on that solution. Here's the problem description:

I have an NSTableView, bound to an NSArrayController, which is bound to my custom object. So far so good. I can change attributes, add, remove, all that good stuff. Now, my custom object can have one property changed programmatically by an NSTimer. Of course, when the change happens, the object is updated but not the NSTableView.

So, I implemented a notification in the set method for that property, and registered a notification listener in my app controller. Now, when the app controller sees the update to that property, it calls reloadData method on the NSTableView. That seems to work nicely.

Except one thing: if I'm in the middle of editing a different row when the NSTableView:reloadData method is called, the editing is ended. One obvious way around this is to not allow in-line editing of the data in the table, but rather in a separate set of controls for the object for the selected row. That's where I am currently.

So, my first question is, am I missing something fundamental here? Is this the "right" way of doing it, or is there a better way? I thought maybe KVO might be a solution, but it didn't really seem appropriate to this situation. I suppose you could try to manually update just the cell, right?

My second question is more general. I've basically just completed the Cocoa Programming book by Hillegass. Is there a "next" logical book/ document to read, or is it just time to write lots of experimental code and ask questions?

Thanks!

jay