On Apr 9, 2008, at 8:32 AM, Jesse Grosjean wrote:
I've heard (or maybe imagined) that some image file formats will already embed their own thumbnails. Is that a better way to do things... what image formats support that if any?

This I do know a bit better. TIFF images can indeed store multiple representations, and it seems NSImage is well suited to using those representations.

You might consider PNG as well. It cannot store multiple representations in one file, but it can compress many screen graphics (think screenshots of a typical application window and such) better than TIFF compressions while still keeping the original pixels.

JPEG and other (usually unwritable) camera formats can store a thumbnail in their metadata, but I wouldn't recommend going that route. Not the only reason, but unless you're dealing with photographic material JPEG's lossy compression will not likely be suited to your needs.

hope this helps,
-natevw