On 10.5 you should b able to hide directly (NSTableColumn setHidden method). . Otherwise the best way is to keep an NSArray around (for example in a subclass of NSTableView) where you add the column you want to hide. Then when you hide a column you add it to this array and delete it from the tableColumns array. As it is retained in your array you do not need to recreate everything each time and simply swap it between the 2 NSArray

HTH

laurent