On Apr 14, 2008, at 11:56 AM, Carter R. Harrison wrote:

cgback is a CGLayerRef instance variable that I setup when the view is inited. I use the following line:

cgback = CGLayerCreateWithContext(context, CGSizeMake([self bounds].size.width, [self bounds].size.height), NULL);

It's my understanding that I do not need to retain cgback with CFRetain(), but I do need to release cgback in my dealloc() method - which I'm doing.

Where is "context" coming from? CGLayers are made relative to an example context that they optimize themselves for, but at -init your view hasn't been drawn yet, so there is no context. I suspect that your getting something you very much do not expect.

In general if you want to use layers with views, you should create the layer on the first -drawRect: call rather than trying to have them around from -init forward.
--
David Duncan
Apple DTS Animation and Printing