If you wish to vary both the width and height to be a more pleasing set of
dimensions, similar to what an alert does, try word wrapping your text into a
golden ratio rectangle using the area measurement generated by your single-line
text measurement.  Of course, based on a strict interpretation of what I'm
reading from you, with the height bounded, keep in mind that a square that is
one foot high and 18 feet wide has the same area as a square that is three feet
high and six feet wide.  Of course, since we're talking about text that isn't
cleanly broken at character positions, you'll probably need some ceiling breaks
on the width area recalculation.