On Apr 24, 2008, at 7:38 PM, Colin Cornaby wrote:

It looks like NSUIHeartBeat could be attempting to lock something. Although I could be wrong, it may not be related.

The render thread got stuck while depth sorting:

Thread 11 (process 13823 thread 0x8803):
#0  0x90a27d9c in CARenderLayerDepthSortSublayers ()
#1  0x90a27611 in prepare_layer0 ()
#2  0x90a27597 in prepare_layer0 ()
#3  0x90a27597 in prepare_layer0 ()
#4  0x90a26dd4 in CARenderUpdateAddContext ()
#5  0x90a25f72 in view_draw ()
#6  0x90a34f60 in view_display_link ()
#7  0x90a26936 in link_callback ()
#8  0x94cc1015 in CVDisplayLink::performIO ()
#9  0x94cc1641 in CVDisplayLink::runIOThread ()
#10 0x958e06f5 in _pthread_start ()
#11 0x958e05b2 in thread_start ()

this is done while holding the lock the main thread is trying to take. I can't think of any way you could cause this other than heap corruption, or maybe over-releasing objects, so it could be a CA bug. I would try running with NSZombies enabled first; if you don't see anything wrong that way, file a bug report (with a test case showing the hang if possible, otherwise there's probably no way we can debug it…)

        John