I have a custom NSView that contains static text and a NSSearchField,
it's your run-of-the-mill attempt to provide live search in a menu, a
la the Apple help menu.

My issue is that while I can get the cursor into the search field, if
I type something other than standard text (arrow keys, home, end,
etc), the search field's action is fired and I receive the character
value of said key.  As you can surmise, this doesn't really return the
right results.  I would like the user to be able to use the down arrow
key to move out of the search field, so I implemented
controlView:textView:doCommandBySelector: for the search field's
delegate to catch moveDown:

This never gets called unless I actually click in the search field.
My custom NSView has this as it's implementation of
viewDidMoveToWindow to move the cursor into the field:

-(void) viewDidMoveToWindow
{
        [[self window] makeFirstResponder:searchField];
}

It almost seems like this isn't really making the field the first
responder, at least not in the way that clicking on the field does.
Any thoughts on how to "properly" assign first responder status to a
text field in a view of a NSMenuItem?

And as a somewhat related question, can one programmatically change
the highlighted item in a menu?  There doesn't appear to be a
selectMenuItemAtIndex: method...

As always, thanks

--
Jim