On 16 May '08, at 2:34 PM, Bill Bumgarner wrote:

An almost universal rule of Mac OS X programming: If you see a compiler warning, you are doing something wrong.

Amen. One of the first things I do to any Xcode project I work on is turn on "Treat warnings as errors" in the build settings. For some reason almost all of Obj-C's type-checking errors appear as warnings, and you ignore those at your peril.

(I also recommend adding "-Wall" to the "Other warning flags" field. That enables [almost] all warnings. Yes, you'll sometimes have to tweak correct code that triggers a warning; but that's much less time consuming than tracking down a bizarre runtime problem that could have been detected by the compiler if you'd let it.)

—Jens