On May 17, 2008, at 6:57 PM, Antonio Nunes wrote:

I would suggest you try to verify why John's suggestion fails, as one would expect it to work. Alternatively try this:

Untested:
1. Ask for the bounds of the selection
2. Get the string of the selection
3. Get the string of the page
4. Use rangeOfString:options:range: on the page-string to search for the selection-string (or you can use an NSScanner, but I think this is simpler) 5. If you get a match you have a range. Use it to call selectionForRange: on the page 6. If the bounds of the returned selection match the bounds returned in step 1 you've found your range. If not continue searching the page-string until you find the match.

I have not tested this yes but after a few test found out that using directly rect returned by [PDFSelection boundsForPage: ()] is not possible. However first going through NSIntegralRect on the result of [PDFSelection boundsForPage: ()] leads to correct behavior. To me this looks like an inconsistency in the API and I will enter a bug

I guess we should file a bug requesting PDFSelections be able to return their rangeForPage: and also their rangeForDocument or similarly named method that would yield the range within the full text of the document.

Will do.

Thanks

laurent