Hi all,

  once again I have a question I can't seem to figure out on my own.

I'm trying to implementing an NSDocument application, more specifically the load/store part of it. It actually works as expected, reading and writing my object graph to and from a file works fine. The problem is that when releasing the NSKeyedUnarchiver instance used to read the data, the application crashes - and I don't know why.

This is the exact code I'm using (tracks is an object that conforms to < NSCoding >)

- (NSData *)dataOfType:(NSString *)typeName error:(NSError **)outError
{
    NSMutableData *data = [[NSMutableData alloc] init];
NSKeyedArchiver *archiver = [[NSKeyedArchiver alloc] initForWritingWithMutableData: data];
    [archiver setOutputFormat: NSPropertyListBinaryFormat_v1_0];
    [archiver encodeObject:tracks forKey: @"myobject"];
    [archiver finishEncoding];
    [archiver release];
    return [data autorelease];
}

- (BOOL)readFromData:(NSData *)data ofType:(NSString *)typeName error: (NSError **)outError
{
    *outError = nil;
    NSKeyedUnarchiver *archiver;
archiver = [[NSKeyedUnarchiver alloc] initForReadingWithData: data];

    // release current data
    [tracks release];
    tracks = [archiver decodeObjectForKey: @"myobject"];
    [tracks retain];
    [archiver release]; // <--- crash here, no crash if commented out
    return YES;
}

The crash happens when [archiver release] is called. Since I own the object I have to release it and in my understanding it should no longer be necessary (the reading is finished at that point). Furthermore Leaks reports a leak if archiver is not released (which seem to be perfectly valid).

I've also tried [archiver autorelease] but that only delays the crash a little.

I don't understand the mistake I'm making, please help. Thanks!

Regards
Markus