On May 18, 2008, at 8:36 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:
I've started playing with NSCollectionView and everything worked out beautifully (custom views, selection state handling for items etc.). One thing I can't figure out is how my application/document gets notified about a change of selection.

If you bind the collection view to an NSArrayController, you can observe the controller's selection-related properties, either programmatically or by using bindings in IB. For example, you can bind a button's "enabled" property to the controller's "canRemove", to enable the button only when there's a selection.

Up until now I've tried to stay away from manual KVO, the complexity of things is overwhelming as it is. However, I have to say it's rather elegant and works perfectly for this case. Just to be sure I did things right, this is what I came up with:

@implementation MyCollectionViewController

- (void)dealloc
{
[arrayController removeObserver:self forKeyPath:@"selectedObjects"];
    [super dealloc];
}

-(void)awakeFromNib
{
    [arrayController addObserver:self forKeyPath:@"selectedObjects"

- (void)observeValueForKeyPath:(NSString *)keyPath
                      ofObject:(id)object
                        change:(NSDictionary *)change
                       context:(void *)context
{
    // do whatever necessary here
}

Does this look OK, especially, is removeObserver: in dealloc: not too late?

Thanks for you help!

Regards
Markus