On May 21, 2008, at 9:45 AM, Steve Weller wrote:

Don't you see how different the learning experience is for 100,000 iPhone developers in 2008 vs. a few hundred Next developers twenty years ago? And the differences in motivation? And background? And sponsorship?

Scott, you *are* doing your best, and you are doing a great job with what you have. But I feel that there is a part of Apple that is in a state of denial, and until that changes, we're stuck with bug reports as a means of trying to change corporate vision.

I think there's an assumption implicit in your argument that Apple "must" or "should" make it easier for anybody and everybody who wants to code for the Mac or the iPhone to do so quickly and easily. I'm not sure it's necessarily a valid assumption, and I'm not sure Apple is in denial of anything. Lowering the barriers to entry doesn't necessarily serve them or their consumers better, it serves new developers who see the iPhone as an opportunity but, obviously, there is no shortage of people wanting to take advantage of that opportunity, so I'm not sure why Apple would be motivated to change an approach that has worked well for them for many years. In the long run, these initial difficulties and problems, I would argue, actually keep the quality of third party software up, which seems desirable from Apple's point of view.

I'm not saying your concerns aren't valid, just that yours is one perspective in a very complex equation, and possibly not as much of a factor in the big picture as you might think.