array controllers are not fully KVO compliant.

they don't return change values.

On May 31, 2008, at 3:21 AM, Rick Mann wrote:

I registered to observe changes in the "number" column of my tree controller:

        [mItemsController addObserver: self
                forKeyPath: @"selection.number"
                context: NULL];

My -observe: action gets called, but this line

NSLog(@"Value changed %@: %@ (%@)", inKeyPath, inChange, [inObject selection]);

dumps this to the console:

Value changed selection.number: {
   kind = 1;
   new = <null>;
} (<_NSControllerObjectProxy: 0x177cb0>)

Note that "new" is null. I would expect it to be the value of the number.

Furthermore, this line:

        NSLog(@"selection: %@", [inObject valueForKey: @"selection"]);

dumps:

        selection: <_NSControllerObjectProxy: 0x177cb0>

But if I change it to @"selection.number", it throws the exception:

"[<NSTreeController 0x1722e0> valueForUndefinedKey:]: this class is not key value coding-compliant for the key selection.number."

From reading the docs:

"NSObjectController and its subclasses implement the selection method. This method returns a proxy object that represents the receiver’s current selection. The proxy is fully key-value-coding compliant. When you request a key’s value from the selection proxy it returns the value, or a selection marker. Placeholder markers provide additional information about the selection. There are three placeholder markers defined in the NSPlaceholders informal protocol:"

It seems that I should be able to get the number from the selection, but instead I get the exception:

"[<NSTreeController 0x170c60> valueForUndefinedKey:]: this class is not key value coding-compliant for the key selection.number."

I feel like I should be able to get the number. Elsewhere I read that I would get an array of numbers. What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

--
Rick