trying to put a cocoa ui on an existing pthreads app.  need to figure out how
to let some random thread report to the ui that re-drawing the view would be a
good idea.

here is what i am trying to do, and this could be quite stupid but this is the
best i've been able to figure out all by myself.

in my view class i do

- (id)initWithFrame:(NSRect)frameRect
{
        [super initWithFrame:frameRect];
        cache_view_obect(self);
}

- (void)dataIsDirty
{
   [self setNeedsDisplay:YES];
}

in my application delegate i do

- (void)applicationDidFinishLaunching:(NSNotification *)aNotification
{
   NSView* dataview = get_cached_view();
   tell_pthread_app_about_nsview(dataview);
}

and then deep in my pthread code i do:

if (ns_view_object) {
  [ns_view_object performSelectorOnMainThread:dataDirtySelector withObject:nil
waitUntilDone:NO];
}

what I find is that my initWithFrame method is not being called ... so i have
two questions ...

my drawRect: IS being called, so I know my custom view is being instantiated.
why is my init not being called? i thought i figured out the documentaiton
enough to understand that the phrase "This method is the designated initializer
for the NSView class. Returns an initialized object." meant that this was the
only method i needed to write to have custom behavior at creation time.

forget that, is there another way to win?

thanks in advance, i am happy to accept pointers to the documentation i should
have found.

-michael