Using client-side certificates in TLS is pretty standard stuff, and should
be well-supported by the system. You might start here:
https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/URLLoadingSystem/Articles/AuthenticationChallenges.html

The biggest issue with something like this, or any scheme where you're
trusting the client based on information that was packaged in the app, is
that the app necessarily contains the information some bad actor would need
to have to build a malicious client that you probably don't want to trust.
(Same with things like encryption keys, API keys, shared passwords, and so
on.) On the other hand, maybe that isn't the kind of risk you're trying to
mitigate.

Can you say anything more about what kind of app/service this is, and what
sorts of threats you're trying to protect against?

Do you have any way of knowing who the valid users should be ahead of time,
or communicating with them outside of the app?

Sixten