> On Jun 29, 2015, at 1:50 PM, Gavin Eadie <ga...@umich.edu> wrote:
>
> This is all true for a “really synchronous” call, but my suggestion is that
> an “apparently synchronous” call only appears to wait; using a semaphore can
> stop the return, while things keep working on other threads.

I don’t think that’s a distinction worth making. The effect is exactly the
same: the method actually does wait. It doesn’t return until the work is done,
so the thread it’s called on is blocked. That’s a synchronous call. The only
difference is on which thread the work is being done, but that’s not really
important.

(For example, by your definition every system call in the OS is only
‘apparently’ synchronous, because when you make a system call your thread is
paused while a kernel thread wakes up and does the work, after which your
thread resumes. But no one but a kernel developer thinks of functions like
read( ) as asynchronous.)

—Jens