On Jul 15, 2015, at 03:08 , João Varela <joaocvar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However, none of this happens when the user only scrolls (up or down) a
> little and does not reach the top or bottom of the document view. In this
> case, not only the -updateTrackingAreas method of the subview is not called,
> but also the cursor is no longer updated properly, because the
> NSTrackingArea’s of the subviews have not updated correctly. It seems as
> though I am not the only one getting bitten by this problem. See here:

Your assumption about *when* updateTrackingAreas will be called is incorrect.
Depending on the way you create the tracking area, and the amount of the
scroll, the tracking area might not need to be changed at all.

So, there are at least three issues you need to resolve:

1. Are you setting up the tracking area properly? For example, are you
specifying the area in the correct coordinate system? Are you using suitable
options?

2. When you scroll the view, what *actually* happens to the tracking area? For
this, you’re not interested so much in what happens immediately to the cursor,
but rather whether moving the cursor away and back again will “find” the
tracking area, either in the correct place or in an incorrect place.

3. The clip view (the view between the scroll view and the document view in the
hierarchy) also has a tracking area, and the scroll view also has a
“documentCursor” property. Thus, other views may explicitly change the cursor
at unexpected times. You need to investigate whether the tracking area is
incorrect, or whether the cursor is just getting re-set to something else.

Unfortunately, this is hard to debug, because debugging changes the state of
your window and the position of the cursor.