> On 28 Sep 2015, at 17:08, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 28, 2015, at 1:41 AM, Ben <ben_cocoa_dev_l...@yahoo.co.uk
>> <mailto:ben_cocoa_dev_l...@yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
>>
>> When scrolling vertically, there could be up to 100,000 strings to be drawn,
>> horizontally, much fewer, less than 10,000. I'm assuming a maximum grid size
>> of 100 columns and 10k rows. This should be a worst-case assumption.
>
> As various people have said, there is no reason to draw any text that’s
> outside the dirtyRect passed to your -drawRect: call. So you never need to
> draw 100k strings at once. I’m confused by your statements in this thread —
> you do say that you abide by the dirtyRect, so why are you drawing so many
> strings?
>
>> Unfortunately NSTableView doesn't offer the type of interactions I want. I
>> have filed a radar requesting enhancements.
>
> It’s very customizable. What’s missing for you?

I am sorry for the poor explanations. I hope this clears up my phrasing:

I am only drawing the area requested by the dirtyRect parameter.
I mention the large number of strings since when scrolling I am being asked to
draw a larger number of dirtyRect blocks in quick succession. This means a
correspondingly larger number of strings to be drawn.

True, they are not all in the same drawRect call, but in sufficiently close
proximity that I thought speeding up the largest consumer of cpu time (ie.
string drawing) would help the improve the scroll lag.

The biggest thing missing for me in NSTableView is single-cell selection and
highlighting. There was also a drawing bug which I filed a radar for.

—

Thank you all for the suggestions though, I will try each of them.