On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Jens Alfke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> I don't think that's safe. I have seen no assurances that NSOutlineView is
> thread-safe, and in general most AppKit control classes should _not_ be
> accessed from background threads.

While I've been investigating this, I have found more documentation on
thread safety issues in the "Threading Programming Guide". I'd read it
before but it helps to re-read. It says that NSView classes ARE thread
safe... to an extent.

NSView

The NSView class is generally thread-safe, with a few exceptions. You should
create, destroy, resize, move, and perform other operations on NSView objects
only from the main thread of an application. Drawing from secondary threads
is thread-safe as long as you bracket drawing calls with calls to
lockFocusIfCanDraw and unlockFocus.

If a secondary thread of an application wants to cause portions of the view
to be redrawn on the main thread, it must not do so using methods like
display, setNeedsDisplay:, setNeedsDisplayInRect:, or setViewsNeedDisplay:.
Instead, it should send a message to the main thread or call those methods
using the performSelectorOnMainThread: method instead.