I want to install 10.8.5 somewhere, to debug an app compatibility issue on that
OS, but I can’t seem to figure out how.

I have an empty hard disk I can use, but there’s nothing installed on it. I’ve
got the Mountain Lion installer app from the App Store, but it won’t run under
El Capitan. (It’s “too old” to run.) So, without an older OS X to run it on, I
can’t get an older OS to run it on. (The Yosemite installer won’t run either.)

What’s the right way to go about this?