> On Dec 28, 2015, at 3:38 AM, Uli Kusterer <witness.of.teacht...@gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
> On 28 Dec 2015, at 01:15, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:
>>> On 28 Dec 2015, at 9:45 AM, SevenBits <sevenbitst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> For a new application I’m building I need to have a view showing a
>>> grid-based layout of files, similar to the default view of the Finder. I’m
>>> not sure how to implement this. NSCollectionView appears to suffice, and
>>> I’ve used it before, but it simply isn’t performant as it doesn’t reuse
>>> cells, and it doesn’t seem like it’s designed for this kind of thing. On
>>> the other kind, NSBrowser seems to be built for representing the file
>>> system, but based on example code I’ve found on ADC it only seems suitable
>>> for building an interface out of Miller columns, which isn’t suitable for
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Is anyone aware of how to do something like this? I’m open to using
>>> 3rd-party components and/or code if necessary.
>>
>> I’ve used Uli Kusterer’s UKDistributedView for this, using a cell class of
>> my own, and a few other mods. I’m not sure if Uli is still maintaining this,
>> but it did the job.
>> http://www.cocoabuilder.com/archive/cocoa/93982-ann-ukdistributedview-finder-icon-view.html
>>
>> Uli reads this list, he may be able to tell you the latest news.
>
> I'm using the version on my Github at
> https://github.com/uliwitness/UKDistributedView in Stacksmith, so it still
> compiles and runs.

This looks great, thanks. One small issue, though: when I compiled and ran your
example code in El Capitan, it appears as if the view doesn’t properly respond
when the window’s size is adjusted. I would expect this to happen automatically
when the view’s frame changes. Is something not working properly on my end, or
is this a “feature”?

> That said, the look of the included cell is not quite in-line with today's
> Finder (I think it's more like 10.5's or so), and if I was doing this class
> again today, I'd probably try to switch to using CALayers instead of cells.

It doesn’t need to work like the Finder; it just needs to look like the Finder
and allow the user to select elements.

Also, I noticed there’s a macro named LAYER_BASED in MyDataSource.m in the
sample code. Is using a layer backed view already supported.

> Also, of course the IB plugin stuff in there is no longer useful. But the
> main view and cell classes proper should be a decent (and reasonably
> performant) starting point for your needs. Pull requests are appreciated.

Does this class still require a license for commercial use? It seems to say
that on your website, but the license makes no mention of it. Could you clear
this up?