On Jan 29, 2016, at 10:50 , Dru Satori <d...@druware.com> wrote:

> I think that this is a slightly uncharitable view of OSS devs, but not
> terribly inaccurate.

To clarify, I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic at the expense of open-/free-source
developers. There are some developers and some projects which they happy to
make freely available, and there are some developers and some projects which
they are happy to be used as a starting point for something else.

The license (whichever one it is) tries to prevent abuse of this collaborative
effort, by protecting the IP ownership, by ensuring that credit goes where
credit is due, and by ensuring that freely available code can’t be secretly
twisted into something malicious.

In short, there is a difference between properly *using* someone else’s IP, and
improperly *appropriating* someone else’s IP. My wisecrack about the money was
only intended to suggest that if appropriation becomes profitable, it’s
discouraging for the IP owner who chose not to be greedy. That’s the sort of
thing that will push good developers out of the open source arena.

What I am sarcastic about is the licenses themselves, which are written in such
a way that no one knows what they say, backed by a (potential) legal process
that itself can’t say what they mean. There is no meaning here, no solid
ground, there is only the outcome of (potential) legal battles, which are
unlikely to benefit any developers.

I also feel a bit sarcastic about the impulse to satisfy
"what-I-think-the-license-requires-me-to-honorably-do-even-though-it-may-not-be-precisely-legally-defensible”
 by hacking into code-signed apps. I respect the intention to do good, but …
really??