On Jun 17, 2008, at 4:50 PM, Erik Buck wrote:

I am a little bit confused by Scott's statement that "if you use layers-hosting views, then you should not rely on view drawing at all ... conversely, if you use layer-backed views then you should not directly access the views."

and you should be. I hosed the final word.

is should have said if you use layer-backed views then you should not directly access the LAYERS.

layer-backed views provides you a facility for providing caching our existing view content. views are used for all the interaction layer-hosting views provides you a means of displaying a layer tree that you manage. layers are used for all the interaction.