> On 6 Jul 2016, at 7:10 AM, Jonathan Taylor <jonathan.tay...@glasgow.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> Quicktime. My code has been 32-bit only since I first wrote it, because I
> make use of the APIs in QuickTime/ImageCompression.h for encoding movies.

Not really quite on-topic, but if you are having to switch to a whole new API,
a possible alternative is to use ffmpeg. You can just embed the binary in your
app and wrap it in a NSTask. I just did this for a very specific video encoding
requirement I had and it was (in my case) a far simpler exercise than learning
the necessary AVFoundation API. I had it working in about an hour as opposed to
probably several days, and most of that hour was figuring out how to correctly
pass command line parameters to NSTask.

It might seem sagreligious to some not to use a native API if one is available,
but OTOH, sometimes the best tools are the ones to hand.

—Graham