> On 27 Aug 2016, at 1:41 PM, Ken Thomases <k...@codeweavers.com> wrote:
>
> The reason it has no length property is because not all NSFileHandles have
> the concept of a length.  For example, a file handle associated with a pipe
> or socket.

Right, though for those cases it could just return 0 or some other marker (or
throw).

> For an on-disk file, you can seekToEndOfFile and get offsetInFile to
> determine the file length.  If you need to not perturb the file position, you
> can record the original offsetInFile and then seekToFileOffset:origOffset to
> restore it after measuring the length.

After I posted I noticed that -seekToEndOfFile returns the length, and I was
calling that anyway (to append to the file), so it was an obvious solution I’d
missed.

> Matthew Emerson's suggestion of using fstat() with the fileDescriptor is also
> reasonable.

I was about to head down that path when I noticed the above - thanks for the
suggestions anyway, worth knowing for the future.

—Graham