> On Sep 21, 2016, at 11:44 AM, Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org> wrote:
>
> There isn’t an option to fill width and align top. The more general
> recommendation in this space however would be to use a UIImageView, which has
> all the same options but participates in higher level layout (including the
> content of autoResizingMasks, and also auto layout).
>
> I am using the layer as a mask - so the UIImageView isn't really an option.

Its still an option, especially if you are otherwise using UIViews –
UIView.maskView would do the trick.

> BUT I just found that adjusting the contentsRect to the right ratio does the
> trick.

If you are going to do that, you might as well just calculate the aspect ratio
as well.

Keep in mind that if the image you are using as a mask is not fully under your
control, you will also have to adapt for the image orientation – if the image
is not oriented up, then you need to rotate as well.

--
David Duncan