What is the maximum size of a bitmap image I can render using the Core Graphics
framework and CALayer ?

So far, I had assumed it is the maximum texture size the graphics card can
handle, so I determined the limits via
   glGetIntegerv( GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE, &maxTextureSize_ );

But apparently , the limits are much higher.

How can I determine the limit, so that my app can filter out images over the
limit, so that it does not crash in such cases?

I have checked the documentation, in particular
CGImageSourceCreateImageAtIndex() et al., to no avail.

Best regards,
Gabriel.