> On Sep 22, 2016, at 4:19 PM, Sandor Szatmari <admin.szatmari....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> So there was lots of discussion and plenty of 'don't do anything that equates
> to this' --> @"myString" == @"myString", and I agree.
>
> I wanted to get some opinions on the following which I have done in the past
> and perceive as different because the string constant is introduced and
> defined once and only once.
>
> // my .m file
> static NSString * const kMyContext = @"my fantastic context";
>
> // later on
> - (void) observeValueForKeyPath: (NSString *) keyPath   ofObject: (id) object
>                       change: (NSDictionary *) change context: (void *)
> context
> {
>  if ( context == kMyContext )
>  { // do my stuff }
>  else
>  // call super
> }
>
> My interpretation of how to use context has been as an arbitrary pointer...
> Does this run afoul of anyone's sensibility?
>
> Sandor Szatmari

This appears to follow Apple recommended practice. I think after all the
discussion on this thread, pretty much the only thing you should do is compare
the context to a static pointer. And a static string maybe makes it easier to
identify a particular context. I’m actually changing some old code right now to
use these recommendations.

Good luck!

Doug Hill