> On Nov 29, 2016, at 1:33 AM, Gerriet M. Denkmann <gerri...@icloud.com> wrote:
>
>> On 29 Nov 2016, at 03:33, Doug Hill <cocoa...@breaqz.com> wrote:
>>
>> A little experimentation might find the right one.

> A “little” is kind of misleading. There are about 40 features, with up to 20
> alternatives each.
>
> …
> After you kindly mentioned kStylisticAlternativesType I started to try this.
> The documentation is quite helpful in mentioning that some flag “Turns the
> nth set of alternates on or off” for n = 1 … 20.
>
> And luckily kStylisticAltThreeOnSelector does indeed turn centred colons on.

Wow, it's awesome that this works! And now that I know how to set these
attributes for a UILabel, I might try using some other features of SF font,
such as contextual fractional forms for any fraction.

But seriously, why didn’t Apple document what those stylistic alernative type
attribute constants are? Are they supposed to change? Did they not know what
they correspond to when creating the header? Did they not expect that
developers would use this feature?
I suppose if I have some time I’ll try them out and see if I can do my own
documentation. For reference, here are a few different forms that I was able to
create with TextEdit:

http://breaqz.com/font/AlternateStylisticForms.pdf

This includes examples of the following:

• Vertically centered colon
• Straight-sided six and nine
• Open Four
• One storev a (e.g. alternate lowercase ‘a’ form)
• Small Capitals
• Contextual Fractional Forms (fractional form for any fraction)
• Monospaced Numbers

Doug Hill