I'm creating my GUI programmatically. It simply consists of a UILabel,
a UITableView and two UIButtons.

When creating those three controls I've noticed that they all seem to
use different color schemes by default which makes the GUI look rather
silly.

Here are my observations:

1) By default, UILabel seems to set both background and text color to
black, i.e. nothing is readable before you change the colors to some
more meaningful values.

2) By default, UITableView appears with a gray background and black
text on top.

3) By default, UIButton appears with a black background and blue (!)
text on top.

Is there any rationale why all three controls seem to use entirely
different color schemes by default here?

When writing desktop GUIs it's bad practice to use custom color schemes
because they might clash with the user's theme settings. Doesn't such
a paradigm apply to iOS as well? Or am I really forced to explicitly
set foreground and background colors for each UI control? I'd really
prefer to use the default iOS look instead. On Android I don't have to
set background and foreground colors either, the OS will automatically
use some meaningful and consistent (!) default colors.

This makes me wonder if there is a default iOS color scheme for apps
at all? Or are all apps supposed to define their own color scheme?
If there is a default iOS color scheme, why don't the controls use
it then when not specifying any colors?

It's all quite confusing... I hope somebody can shed some more light
onto this. But please no lectures on that I should use Interface Builder,
Storyboard, or whatever it is called now instead, I really like to do
things manually - always have, always will ;)

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:andr...@falkenhahn.com