On Jan 3, 2017, at 05:00 , Sandor Szatmari <admin.szatmari....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are you suggesting case sensitivity is an issue here?  If so, I don't think
> so.  The template returned from this method uses 'a' as a place holder for
> AM/PM.  e.g. It might return the string 'h a' as it does by default for the
> English/US locale on my system, and a is always lower case.  This is
> described here
> http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-31/tr35-dates.html#Date_Format_Patterns
>
> <http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-31/tr35-dates.html#Date_Format_Patterns>
>  See the 'period' field in the Date Field Symbol Table and section 8.2 for my
> justification.

I was, but (sorry) that was because I didn’t read your code carefully enough.

> Yea, I was considering just making it an app local preference but that
> strikes me as crude.  Ideally speaking, at best an appropriate preference for
> my app could be 'Override System 24 hr time preference' or something akin.

Why can’t be the app preference simply be “Show 24 hr time” and default to the
locale setting? Which is to say, the same thing you said but without the
semi-pejorative description.

TBH, I think the menu bar clock has an overriding setting only for historical
reasons. However, it doesn’t seem completely unlikely that a user might want
the always-visible clock to be different from formatted times. It may be that
the locale (or bureaucratic policy) might mandate that one format is used for
dates/times generally, but a specific user might be more comfortable telling
*time of day* using the opposite convention.

Similarly and analogously, a user might have reasons for setting the Mac to GMT
generally, but still want to display local time in the menu bar.