> On Feb 14, 2017, at 1:24 PM, Quincey Morris
> <quinceymor...@rivergatesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> On Feb 14, 2017, at 00:26 , Daryle Walker <dary...@mac.com
> <mailto:dary...@mac.com>> wrote:
>>
>> But I can’t call the “super” versions of those other initializers from
>> within my override.
>
> This is the essence of your problem. Your “override” cannot be a convenience
> initializer because convenience initializers cannot call “up” to the
> superclass, and it cannot be a designated initializer because designated
> initializers cannot call convenience initializers. For one solution, see here:
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38908902/overwriting-nsdocuments-initcontentsofoftype-in-swift
>
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/38908902/overwriting-nsdocuments-initcontentsofoftype-in-swift>
>
> Answering the same question in another way, look at the comments for
> init(type:) in the NSDocument header file:
>
>> "Initialize a new empty document of a specified type, and return it if
>> successful. If not successful, return nil after setting *outError to an
>> NSError that encapsulates the reason why the document could not be
>> initialized. The default implementation of this method just invokes [self
>> init] and [self setFileType:typeName].”
>

> This tells you exactly what the superclass convenience initializer does, and
> the fact that it’s in the header file makes the behavior a public API
> contract. So, you are allowed to implement your own subclass convenience
> initializer (that throws) which does *not* invoke super, but simply does what
> the super method is documented to do. (That’s basically the solution given on
> Stack Overflow.)

This is what I did; repeat the three initializers. Apple’s code will call my
versions instead of the ones in NSDocument, right?

The given notes don’t say how to get the modification date, but I got it from
the StackOverflow article you mentioned. For the initializer that can take a
“URL?” for a decoy file, which modification date are you supposed to use? My
code uses “(urlOrNil ?? contentsURL)” to decide. Is that right?

—
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie
darylew AT mac DOT com