Thanks for the hint. In the debugger I discovered that what looks to be a
UITextField displayed across the bottom of the alert is actually implemented as
a private object of class UIAlertControllerTextField.

So I can restrict the text to a portion of the textfield, but I can't find a
way to shorten the textfield's displayed width. Setting UIBorderStyleNone also
has no effect. I can change the font characteristics, but no layout/display
characteristics of the "textfield" itself appear to be directly changeable.

-Carl