On Apr 11, 2017, at 08:32 , Navneet Kumar <navnee...@me.com> wrote:

>> 4. Anti-aliasing. There is some behind the scenes magic when drawing text,
>> that determines whether it knows the background color and therefore whether
>> it anti-aliases using the background color.
>>
> Tried anti-aliasing, explicitly turning it ON and OFF. No change.

Well, I nearly had the right answer here. I tried a simple test project, using
black text, and saw the effect you describe. Zooming into the display
(Control+scroll) revealed the difference pretty clearly, since I could see the
colors of the anti-aliased pixels. In the NSTextField text, LCD font smoothing
is being used; in the drawn text, it is not. There is behind the scenes magic
when drawing text, that determines whether it knows that LCD smoothing can be
applied.

When I turned the LCD smoothing option off in System Preferences -> General,
the text rendered the same in both cases.

Note that your choice of text color made the problem appear worse, because sub
pixels were apparently being turned on both for smoothing and for coloring,
which made the text look bolder than if it had been black.