It's not uncommon to have a method throw an exception when you make a
programming error so that you get immediate feedback. Not knowing offhand which
method(s) were called, my guess would be that they're designed to always
succeed if you specify the correct parameter values, so the assertion is
letting you know that your parameters aren't correct.

It's not like the case where, for example, you're trying to delete a file that
may or may not be there. In general usage either of those cases is just as
valid so the file system reports the error, if any, and lets your app decide
what to do.