> On May 29, 2018, at 7:39 AM, Alastair Houghton <alast...@alastairs-place.net>
> wrote:
>
> There’s clearly some kind of bug in your code, but it doesn’t appear to be in
> the lines you showed us.  If I had to guess, I’d say you’ve over-released
> your NSString somehow (leading to an attempted double free of the underlying
> storage);

^This. The crash log clearly says "Freeing already free'd pointer”. If I had to
guess, I’d say that your code is failing to create an NSString from UTF-16 data
(for the reasons already described in this thread), and the failure-handling
code path of your code ends up double-releasing a string. (Which should be
impossible with ARC alone; are you calling CFString APIs anywhere?)

—Jens