>>  NSAtom is a red herring

Quite possible.

Usually we create the C++ object, which constructs a linker in the next line or
two.
Then that creates the Cocoa object in the next line or two and hooks them up.
They all stick around until all are deleted.  Not much chance for object
lifetime problems.

This error happened when I accidentally put something after the linker was made,
but before it made the Cocoa object.  It's probably the first time the nil test
has even
happened on a nil pointer to a Cocoa object.

Unfortunately that specific error is now fixed several times over, and I didn't
commit
when it was breaking.  But if it happens again I'll do more in-depth testing on
it.

Thanks,

Casey McDermott
www.TurtleSoft.com