ITOT that the problem was that I had a call to lockFocusIfCanDraw
in my drawRect handler (from who knows what prior incarnation of
the OS) which, according to the documentation is deprecated and
"does nothing and should not be called". The second half of that is
probably correct, the first half isn't. In the 10.14 SDK, it changed the
[NSGraphicsContext currentContext] so my text was apparently
being drawn to nowheresville. Works fine with the 10.13 SDK.

> I just started testing a port of my application to Mojave. I'm having
> a rather odd problem with NSString drawAtPoint withAttributes. I use
> that to add text to graph windows. All the lines and fills look fine,
> but the text, done with drawAtPoint, doesn't show on the screen.
> However, if I take the window and create a PDF from it, everything
> looks fine. It also works fine on High Sierra. Anybody have any idea
> what might be going wrong with this?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Tom Doan
> ---