> On Aug 10, 2019, at 3:12 PM, Kurt Bigler <kkbli...@breathsense.com> wrote:
>
> On 8/10/19 10:03:00 AM, Rob Petrovec wrote:
>>> On Aug 10, 2019, at 12:24 AM, Kurt Bigler via Cocoa-dev
>>> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The NSView subclasses involved are receiving drawRect: messages but are not
>>> receiving mouseDown:.
>
>>      You need to implement NSView -hitTest: to get mouseDown events.
>
> I have 5 working Cocoa apps, and none implement hitTest.  It is apparently
> needed for special circumstances, per the docs "to have a view object hide
> mouse-down events from its subviews”.
        The OP said NSView subclasses.  Not NSControl.  So he needs to
implement hitTest to get mouseDown events.  If you read the sentence before the
line you quoted:  "This method is used primarily by an NSWindow object to
determine which view should receive a mouse-down event.”.  NSView returns nil
from hitTest by default, so raw NSViews don’t get mouseDown events.

—Rob