> On Oct 4, 2019, at 2:41 PM, Lars C. Hassing via Cocoa-dev
> <cocoa-dev@lists.apple.com> wrote:
>

> On 4 Oct 2019, at 21.00, Jens Alfke wrote:
>
> The people I hear complaining about this are those who, like you, didn't move
> to Cocoa. Carbon was a _temporary_ transition API*. It was necessary when Mac
> OS X shipped in March 2001, but even though it wasn't yet formally
> deprecated, it was clear it would be.
>
> Carbon might have started as a temporary solution, but it ended up a very
> good solution,
> which Apple stated in "It’s the Future” (Last updated: 2004-06-28)
>
>   "Apple is committed to the HIViews, Carbon events, and nib files for Carbon
> implementations of the user interface.
>    All new controls and other features will be based on HIView.
>    If you want your application to take advantage of the latest features, you
> need to adopt the modern HIToolbox.”
>
> https://web.archive.org/web/20080725021421/http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/Upgrading_HIToolbox/upgrading_hitoolbox_conc/chapter_2_section_7.html
>

> When my company was going to the Mac platform (in addition to
> Sun+AIX+Windows),
> Carbon seemed like a good choice.
> Now we have just wasted several man years going to Cocoa.
> Microsoft is really the good guys, as somebody said, not letting developers
> down.
> /Lars

Does anyone remember when Cocoa / Carbon / Java were all supposed to be valid
paths forward on OS X?

A quick search turned up...
http://ec30.org/skills/mac-os-x-carbon-cocoa-development/
<http://ec30.org/skills/mac-os-x-carbon-cocoa-development/>

Notice the application frameworks in the image at the front.

It wasn’t always clear that Cocoa was going to be the last man standing on OS X.