>> For context: I work on a database library[1] implemented in C++ that
provides exactly such a C API

Diving down into C sounds like a reasonable option for a database library.
It does not sound good for a specialty app that does construction
estimating and accounting. Libraries just show Assembly when you step into
them, no?  We already have that problem with all of Cocoa. Having that
happen in our own code would be awful.

We don't need an API to link with the GUI, we need a tight, visible,
easy-to-debug direct connection. It's simple stuff like change a popup
value, and some other field needs to switch from % to $.  Maybe 5000 little
details like that.

Casey McDermott
TurtleSoft.com