Our app is used by remodelers and construction folks to run their
businesses- accounting, estimating, project management, billing, payroll.
It's big- kinda like FileMaker, plus QuickBooks, plus a bit of Excel, plus
a drawing window for customizing. It took about 15 programmer-years for
version 1.0, then another 5 to get it really good.  It's too big, but
people need it all to run their biz.

There are a few similar apps on Windows, but we have the only one for Mac.
I don't think anyone else on Mac does payroll- which is insanely
complicated. A few thousand users.  We run the TurtleSoft business with it,
plus another which is paying the bills right now. You can download our demo
and take a look, if you want.  If anyone wants to see the stalled Cocoa
beta I can send it.

We are remodelers who learned to program Excel, then HyperTalk, then C++,
usually just working part-time at it.  I'm sure we aren't rock stars as
programmers, but we managed to ship some decent apps.  There were 2 or 3
programmers on staff for most of the 90s.  Mostly just founders and
subcontractors since then.

We started the 64-bit update in 2013 and not before because construction
was hit very hard by the recession.  2008 to 2011 sales dropped 50% each
year, so it was major downsizing.  We tried to subcontract the Cocoa
update, but 4 different contractors tried it, realized they grossly
underbid and gave up.

Here's a rough programmer-month breakdown for the entire 64-bit update,
spread out over 5 years:
Complete object database rewrite- 4 months + 2 months debugging
Remove PowerPlant, rewrite LArray, misc updating to 64-bit and modern C++ -
6 months
Find subcontractors, negotiate, test, etc-  4 months
Convert resources from ResEdit to modern formats- 1 month
Learn Objective-C, Cocoa and Swift- 4 months
Main window setup, files, C++ to Obj-C links, Cocoa basics- 4 months
Ditto in Visual Studio/MFC- 1 month
Redo & improve main window design in MFC & Cocoa- 3 months
Get various Excel-like tables to work with NSTableView- 6 months
Revise table data entry to use panels because tables still didn't work
right- 1 month
Redo drawing environment for customizing- 1 month (gave up, sample project
too old)
Debug mystery crashes in Cocoa- 3 months
Specialty windows & misc- 4 months (still not done)

The first 10 years were a blast--  rapid growth, excellent cash flow, lots
of travel, teaching clases, spending time with users and other developers.
Then Apple hit the wall and it was 5 years of barely hanging on.  Then 5
years of excellent cash flow again.  The past 10 years have just been eking
and hard work, thankfully not full-time.  Hopefully we'll get a cash cow
back at some point, so it's fun again.

Casey McDermott
TurtleSoft.com